Translate

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

March 6, 2013: Home, is where I want to be.


There’s no place like home. You may have lived in many places but there’s one place that you usually claim as home. The place, when someone asks you, that you say you are from. It might be the place you were born, the place you grew up or the place where you chose to live. Home. My home starts at the intersection of US 23 and I 64. I have always felt like a citizen of the Tri-State, and if I honestly answer the question, ”Where you from,” I must honestly answer, “Louisa / Huntington / Ashland.” The whole area is where I grew up and I have lived in various places in the area. I love it here and I constantly ponder what I could do to make it better, because I care. I care about my home.

Home is where the homicidal snow man is.


Walt had a home. Walt’s home was Marceline, Missouri. He lived in Marceline from 1906 until about 1910 and it shaped his concept of what America was. Walt never forgot Marceline and Main Street, USA is his way of sharing the feeling he had about his time in Marceline. Disneyland, The Magic Kingdom, Disney Parks around the world share Walt’s vision of what he felt made America special in a quaint turn of the 20th century street that opens upon a glorious castle from our old world roots. Walt had a definite vision of who we are, where we are from and where we are going. Without a vision, the people perish. Walt may be gone but his vision lives on. Marceline, Missouri was incorporated on March 6, 1888 and even if the town disappeared from the face of the planet it would live on at the heart of the most magical place on Earth. Go to Main Street, USA, listen to the Dapper Dans, get a hot dog at Casey’s and surrender to the fact that it is forever the Fourth of July, 1909 in Marceline, Missouri.



1475: Michelangelo was born. Go ride Spaceship Earth and watch him paint the Sistine Chapel. Maybe he should get off his back and find a real job.





1899: Silly Putty was invented. Silly Putty is awesome. I have destroyed hundreds of funny pages by stealing the images from the paper onto Silly Putty and stretching and contorting them torturously. There has been Goofy Silly Putty, hot pink Disney Princess Silly Putty and I’m sure there is Silly Putty sold somewhere at Walt Disney World (although you will not find chewing gum, not one square or stick). If you want to be sure to see some Silly Putty at WDW, go to Hollywood Studios and ride Toy Story Midway Mania. Look around; there is Silly Putty and Play Doh everywhere.

Putty and Doh!

Remember, your best excuse is always: waiting for your dreams to come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment