Translate

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

January 24, 2013: Oh, my darlin', oh, my darlin', oh my darlin' Clementine...


On this date in 1848, James Marshall finds gold at Sutter’s Mill in Coloma, California. This led to the California Gold Rush of 1849 and eventually to the San Francisco Forty-niners being the San Francisco Forty-niners instead of the Harbor men or Golden Gaters or some other fanciful moniker. I remember the first trip we made to Florida. I was five and all the way there I jumped up and down in the backseat of our ’57 Chevy singing California, Here I come. Right back where I started from. It was 1966, what did I know? Well you can go to Florida, visit Walt Disney World and get a little California in your day. Just hit the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in Frontierland in the Magic Kingdom. Just watch out for the dynamite eatin’ goat.

In 1958, scientists bashed 2 lighter atoms together and created a heavier atom, thus generating the first man-made nuclear fusion. Shoot, I’ve done that all my life; crashing things together and seeing what sticks and I’ve never even been near a supercollider. I don’t think. They don’t have a supercollider hidden under the Walt Disney World Raceway do they? Nah, that’s the University of Chicago. In honor of man’s search for energy, visit Ellen’s Energy Adventure in EPCOT, One of my son’s favorite attractions at WDW and one of my favorite naps. Remember, it’s okay to relax.

Ernest Borgnine is born on this day in 1915. To me he will always be McHale from McHale’s Navy.  To my kids he will always be Mermaid Man from Spongebob Squarepants. But in 1979 he was Harry Booth in Disney’s The Black Hole. Now if anyone can survive a black hole like that movie, they can survive anything. Ernest Borgnine was a big man with a big heart and a big voice; he became a classic voice actor as well as a beloved television and movie actor. I think an appropriate tribute for Ernest Borgnine would be a visit to the Back Lot Tour and the naval themed section of the tour.

Remember, your best excuse is always, waiting for your dreams to come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment