Translate

Monday, November 5, 2012

November 6, 2012: The Commonwealth Connection


From the early 1960’s, when I was a young child, I have been fascinated with elections. I worked handing out bumper stickers in various elections as a child and, when I got older, I served as a precinct officer. Even though I no longer serve in an official or “paid” capacity in an election, I am very involved in politics, local, state and national.

If you were to check various books, websites and other sources, many elections were held on this date in history so, for our first election day on the Disney Excuses blog, I wanted to pick a really good tie-in for you visiting Walt Disney World and the presidential election. I’ve got one and you’ll have to excuse me for making it very local to my beloved Commonwealth of Kentucky as well as nationally significant.

Your Ultimate Presidential Politics Excuse for visiting Walt Disney World

November 6th, 1860 Abraham Lincoln, born in the great Commonwealth of Kentucky, is elected the 16th President of the United States. In what proved to be one of, if not THE, greatest political decision in the history of the country, Abraham Lincoln is handed the awesome responsibility of preserving the Union and eventually returning a good portion of the country back to the fold. The American Civil War, the War Between the States, changed us from These United States to The United States. Walt Disney created his attraction, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln that eventually morphed to one of my favorites, The Hall of Presidents. Yes, for one more time, go to the Hall of Presidents, after you go to the polls and make a decision that means the Hall of Presidents will remain unchanged for the next four years or it will be closed for a short amount of time to update the presentation to include the 45th President of the United States.

As if Mr. Lincoln is not enough reason, think about this… November 6th, 1861, Jefferson Davis, from the great Commonwealth of Kentucky, is elected to a six-year term as the first president of the Confederate States of America. Davis was eventually captured in 1865 and charged with treason. Although he was not tried, he was stripped of his eligibility to run for public office; Congress posthumously lifted this restriction in 1978, 89 years after his death. Where could you display some reverence for this son of the Commonwealth and leader of the rebellious South… The American Experience at the American Pavilion in EPCOT. I promise to feature other attractions in the future but I think it’s pretty clear which two are high up on my list.




Today is National Saxophone Day and the birthday of Adolphe Sax, the inventor of the saxophone. My son Matt is a beast on the saxophone (remember, I AM his father). So celebrate the sax by checking out the Saxophone Quartet on Main Street, USA. If you have never seen them, they accompany the Mayor and Fire Chief, find out when they will make an appearance that day and enjoy the atmosphere offered by the Quartet and the wonderful, eternal, chief official of Main Street, USA.

                                                             Allison's pic. June, 2012
                                                              Allison's pic. June, 2012


Speaking of brass instruments, I know saxophones are woodwinds with reeds but they are mostly brass, today is Mach King, John Phillip Sousa’s birthday. Look for the Main Street Philharmonic on Main Street, USA and be sure to yell, “Drummers rule.” The drummers appreciate it, and I will too. I’ve been a drummer for 36 years.

                                                   My daughter took this picture in 2009.
                                   I think this could work as a promo pic for Disney. Agree?


Remember, your best excuse is always: waiting for your dreams to come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment