Translate

Friday, November 16, 2012

November 17, 2012: Trying to get a Youper to visit the World.


I am a school teacher and today marks the arrival of a blessed moment in our yearly calendar: Thanksgiving break, nine days of time for us to run like maniacs then go back to school so we can get some rest. Not really. I’m going to have a rare, serious moment. I am tired. I came home tonight, laid down on the couch and fell dead asleep. Today we are doing more, for less pay, with fewer people and higher expectations. It’s like the old joke: I have been asked to do so much, with so little, for so long that now I can do anything with nothing.

Need a break, me too, let’s decompress a bit, take some time to be thankful and look beyond how difficult things might be and try to see how good things can be. Let’s try to operate in the wisdom and faith that made this country great. Let’s stop doing really stupid things for really stupid reasons. Let’s stop looking for sympathy because of our weaknesses and start offering others our strength. We are strong. We can be stronger. We are smart. We can be smarter. We cannot be happy until we are secure. Take care of your family, take care of your friends and trust God to take care of us all.

Ever feel like telling someone to, ”take a hike?” Well, today’s the day: National Take A Hike Day. Someone bugging you? Tell them to take a hike. Feeling bad? Take a hike. Going to Walt Disney World? You’d better get ready to take a hike. There’s lots of transportation at WDW but let’s face it, you’ve got to do some walking or have one of those ECV’s. Walt Disney World is a big place. It’s hard to explain how big it truly is to someone who has never been there. I am in better physical shape today than I was ten years ago because of Walt Disney World. I started walking, not so much to get into shape, but so I would be able to handle the rigors of a trip to WDW at the pace that I set when I go. At home I hike, at WDW I stroll. I go hard so I won’t have to but I can if I need to. Go to WDW, hike if you must, but slow down and stroll as well. Take time to relax. It is easy to think, “I spent all this money and I am going to get my money’s worth.” The truth is, sometimes you get more benefit by doing less and doing it well.

                                                                        Hey, I work out.


This excuse is dedicated to my friend, Eric Abbott. Eric had not been to Walt Disney World and I try to gently convince him to load up the kids and go. I think some day he will. Eric likes Gordon Lightfoot and today is Gordon Lightfoot’s birthday. In case you didn’t know, Lightfoot is a Canadian folksinger. I think of “Sundown” and “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” when I think of Gordon Lightfoot. You should think of visiting the Canadian pavilion at EPCOT. Find a bench, stare out into the World Showcase Lagoon, and quietly hum “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.” No one will say anything; people do much stranger stuff at WDW. To close out this section, let me offer a public service announcement for my friend Eric, who is from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan: Don’t visit the UP, you wouldn’t like it there. Mr. Abbott, you can thank me later.



The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down of the big lake they called "Gitche Gumee." 

Before we close out today, a little love for my daughter, Allison. Allison loves Hercules, she especially loves the Gospel toned choir who sings/narrates Hercules’ story. When we drive to Walt Disney World, we end up with Hercules in the DVD player and I have heard the movie probably a dozen times. Today is Danny DeVito’s birthday and Danny is the voice of Phil, Herc’s trainer. I will also love Danny DeVito because he played the rather caustic dispatcher in Taxi. It’s amazing how many people my kids and I love for completely different reasons. If it were up to Allison, Hercules, Meg, Phil and Hades would be everywhere at Walt Disney World. Truth is, you need to get to Disney’s Hollywood Studios and checkout Fantasmic!, which has Hades and Meg. Hey, you take what you can get.

                                                                  Donald and MEG!

Remember, your best excuse is always: waiting for your dreams to come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment