Translate

Friday, October 19, 2012

October 20, 2012: The Rain in Spain falls mainly on Orlando


As a middle school teacher in Kentucky, I am required to hold two certifications to teach in grades six through eight. My first is in science; my second is in social studies. I love them both. Even though I teach science daily, I work a lot of history into my classes. My students are accustomed to walking into my room and looking at the whiteboard to see what happened today. We always begin class by discussing what’s “on the board today.” So, what’s on the board today that will be your excuse to go to Walt Disney World?

First, in 1820, Spain sold a big chunk of Florida to the United States for five million dollars. Before Walt could build his World, the land had to be part of his Country. I think even Walt would have approved of the deal that James Monroe struck to get the real estate (with the help of Andrew Jackson’s invading forces).

In 1954, “Peter Pan” opened at Winter Garden Theater in New York City. Head on down to the Magic Kingdom and get in the unbelievably long line for Peter Pan’s Flight. I have never understood why that line is so long. It’s a continuous ride, much like the Haunted Mansion but I think there is a little stutter in the loading area that slows the process down a bit. This is one of my favorite rides to hit on the early extra magic hour. It is awesome to see the wait time at 0, 5 or 10 minutes.

In 1901, Frank Churchill is born in Rumford, Maine. Churchill joined Disney in 1930. In 1937, he scored Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (for which he received an Oscar nomination). Churchill's music is heard in Peter Pan, Dumbo, and Bambi. Some of his best known songs include "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?," "Whistle While You Work," and "Some Day My Prince Will Come." Let’s have a moment of silence for Snow White’s Scary Adventure, another shout out for Peter Pan’s Flight, the new Double Dumbo and a little jittery anticipation for the Seven Dwarf’s Mine Ride, lots of love today for the Magic Kingdom.


Remember, your best excuse is always: Waiting for your dreams to come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment