Translate

Thursday, October 25, 2012

I don't need character, I am one.


We are at the end of Character Counts week at Louisa Middle School, LMS: Where Learning Means Success and Character Counts every day. Today (Friday, 10/26/12) we will have skits, lip syncing and talent exhibitions as well as hat day. I will wear two hats, my really cool WDW hat my wife bought me in July and my Mickey Birthday Ears that my daughter bought me for my 50th birthday in 2011 at Mouse Gear in EPCOT. I will wear both hats at the same time because character counts and I am the biggest character in the building.

You can be a character too, just use these excuses…

1785, I love this date in history. I put it on my whiteboard every year. On this date, George Washington received Spanish Jacks in Boston, a gift from King Charles III of Spain. President Washington bred them resulting in the first donkeys to be born in America. If I am not mistaken, Walt loved miniature Donkeys. In fact he had a catalog designed to order things you wanted from Disneyland and this catalog included a miniature Donkey. Don’t take my word for it, check it out with Lou Mongello or Jim Korkis, but I think I’m right. Also, go to the Animal Kingdom, check out the miniature donkey at Rafiki’s Planet Watch.

1914, Jackie Coogan. A famous child actor, Coogan became more famous because when he became an adult he found that mom and dad had went through all the cash he earned as a kid. This resulted in the Coogan Act requiring a portion of a child’s earnings be placed in a trust until they are legal age. But to me, Jackie Coogan will always be Uncle Fester. I thin Uncle Fester would feel right at home at The Haunted Mansion or The Tower of Terror. You’ll feel right at home there as well.

1935, twelve-year-old Frances Gumm sang on Wallace Beery’s radio show and delighted Beery’s audience. A few years later she became a major movie star using her stage name, Judy Garland. If you can make it to Hollywood Studios today, ride The Great Movie Ride and say hi to Dorothy for me.




1942, Bob Hoskins was born. Eddie in  Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Smee in Hook, and Fezziwig in Disney’s A Christmas Carol he gives you all sorts of reasons to visit WDW but I especially invite you to visit Downtown Disney, look for a giant image of Jessica Rabbit and have a moment of silence for the former glory of Pleasure Island.

                                                     2004: Jessica, we hardly knew you.

Remember, your best excuse is always: waiting for your dreams to come true.


No comments:

Post a Comment