Translate

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

September 5, 2013: Be Late, Dweezil Zappa, Bob Newhart, Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah.


Today is Be Late For Something Day. I am incredibly late starting this blog because I had to mow grass. It rained all weekend and, had I waited any longer, I would have needed a tractor and hay bailer to do my yard. I guess that means that I was also late for mowing my lawn. Wow, I’m really in the holiday spirit.

On this day in 1912 Ray Gilbert was born in Hartford, Connecticut. Gilbert was a lyricist and, in our corner of the world, he is best known for writing the lyrics to the Academy Award winning song “Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah” from Song of the South. Of course, the song is also the basis for Splash Mountain, so ride, enjoy and don’t get mad if you get wet.



Bob Newhart was born on this day in 1929 in Oak Park, Illinois. In 1960, Bob Newhart released a comedy album, The Button-Down Mind of Bob Newhart. The album went straight to number one. Based on this album, Newhart was given his first TV show, it didn’t work out so well. Over 15 years later he was given another TV show. That Bob Newhart Show is legendary and Newhart in the 80’s was awesome as well. Newhart also voiced Bernard the Mouse in The Rescuers and The Rescuers Down Under. At heart, Newhart was always a stand-up guy so let’s go to the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor and enjoy the comedy stylings of the denizens of Monstropolis.



Today is Dweezil Zappa’s birthday. An accomplished guitarists in his own right, he is also the son of guitar legend, Frank Zappa. His brother Ahmet works with Disney and has a children’s book published by Disney. Dweezil is on tour now, go, enjoy.

Remember, your best excuse is always: waiting for your dreams to come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment