Translate

Saturday, December 8, 2012

December 9, 2012: I'm a little bit country...


I am 51 years old. My kids laugh because they say that I always claim to be one year older than I actually am. In reality, I won’t start that until after the New Year when I will be closer to 52 than I am 51. I don’t mind growing older but I have refused to grow up (with a knowing nod to one Mr. Jimmy Buffett, “Growing Older But Not Up.”). Being 51 means you can remember a few things: I remember the Beatles when they were still together and they were a cartoon, I remember when Neil Armstrong stepped on the Moon, I remember John Lennon’s assassination as well as Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King, I remember Walt Disney World opening and Walt’s last TV appearance in 1966 when he talked about EPCOT. I didn’t even know Walt was dead years later because he was on TV all the time on Sunday night, I know, I saw him.

One of the great controversies of my early life was choosing whom we liked best, the Jacksons or the Osmonds, Donny or Michael, white gloves or purple socks. I’m not kidding, purple socks. Seriously, I was more of a Cowsills fan but today is Donny Osmond’s birthday. Donny has done it all, he’s a little bit rock and roll, a little bit game show host, a little bit talk show host, he’s a Technicolor Joseph and an onstage Gaston. He’s done it all but I think his greatest moment is his cameo in Weird Al’s video, “White and Nerdy.” Donny is four years older than me and almost as cute. Let’s take another tilt at this and visit EPCOT’s Chinese Pavilion and look for Mulan, after all, Donny was also the singing voice for Shang.





Remember, your best excuse is always: waiting for your dream to come true.


No comments:

Post a Comment