Translate

Saturday, December 15, 2012

December 15, 2012: God bless Connecticut, R.I.P. Walter Elias Disney


This blog began as a bit of a challenge from my daughter. I have threatened for several years to write a book and one idea I threw around was writing a book called 365 Excuses To Visit Walt Disney World. After applying for several years for the Disney Mom’s Panel, unsuccessfully, Allison finally said, “Hey, why don’t you take your Disney idea and write a blog?” So here we are.

I try to keep this blog light. I don’t focus on horrible or sad things that happened on a day but I try to make sure the excuses that we have each day are lighthearted, something you can have fun with. As most of you know, I am a schoolteacher and this time of year is exhausting. There are a lot of things going on. Well, yesterday, at lunch, I saw my first news story about the tragedy in Connecticut. As the story unfolded and the details came out, it was more and more obvious how horrible this morning had been. Is our world filling up with super villains? I can’t wrap my mind around people who deliberately kill and on top of that, deliberately kill children… kindergarten children. Who, but a super villain, would kill a room full of kindergarten children? Forget the guns, focus on the super villain, without a gun he could have stabbed them all, as has happened, he could have blown them up, as has happened, he could have poisoned them, as has happened. You see, super villains don’t care how they cause pain and destruction; they just want to lash out. Terrorists, state sponsored murderers, insane citizens cross the line to super villainy when they stoop to this level.

One of my favorite movies is Unbreakable. My kids say that I have a chip in my head that makes me watch Bruce Willis any time that he is on the screen but this movie is way bigger than Bruce. I am a lifetime Superhero fan and, I will argue that Unbreakable is the best or at least one of the three best Superhero movies ever made (more on that in some other blog). Unbreakable offers the idea that there is balance in the universe; if there are superheroes, then there will be super villains to balance that out. Where are our superheroes to balance the super villains? Who can step up and punish people who commit such evil deeds, especially when they end their terrible acts with suicide? In the absence of superheroes, it takes a lot of everyday heroes to balance the extreme evil we are seeing in the world. Our soldiers are everyday heroes that help balance the world, our police are everyday heroes that help the balance, but every citizen needs to be a hero. Just as the super villains don’t care to give their lives in the commission of their horrible acts, we must be willing to lay down our lives for our friends and neighbors. Jesus said, “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.” Let’s look out for each other, love each other, protect each other and remember: Jesus was born to die so He could save all our lives.

What we recognize on this sad day, is what is certainly one of the saddest moments in Disney history; on this day in 1966, Walter Elias Disney died from the illness related to lung cancer, ten days after his 65th birthday. When word of Walt’s death reaches Disneyland, thought is given to closing the park for the day but it is kept open and the flags on Main Street USA lowered to half-mast. Walt was cremated two days later. Walt’s brother, Roy, takes over the construction of Walt’s dream project, Disney World, later to be named Walt Disney World in honor of Walt. A somber recognition for a somber day, Walt Disney World is a place of many emotions, I have laughed and cried within just a few moments at WDW. If we don’t fully experience the sad moments in our lives, I’m not sure we can fully appreciate the happy moments in our lives.




God bless you all, bless the families in Connecticut and God bless the United States of America.

Remember, your best excuse is always: waiting for your dreams to come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment