Translate

Thursday, December 6, 2012

December 7, 2012: Give Kids The World


It’s midnight as I start to write this and it’s really hard for me to get going for some reason. We just had our last practice of the league season for Academic team. Tuesday is our last meet as we travel to Raceland, Kentucky, after that it is the playoffs in January. After practice tonight we had supper at the Old China Buffet. To quote Walter Pigmon, “The restaurant’s in Louisa, Louisa is home, so it’s home cooking.” Alan Lin and Annie Ye are on our team but they, and their family, are also our friends. Living in a small town is a wonderful thing, the way that our lives weave in and out of school, church and the community. I’m glad that Deana and I decided to go back to school in 1994 and come home and teach. Our lives, the lives of our children and, I hope, the lives of a bunch of children in the community are different because we decided to come home. Maybe it wasn’t so hard to write this blog after all.

Excuse me, why certainly.

1915, the birth of Tuco, man of action, man of bluster and noise, one of my favorite actors, and real character, Eli Wallach. I have bought The Good, The Bad and The Ugly on Beta, VHS and DVD, it is one of my favorite movies of all time and Eli Wallach is one of my favorite actors playing a hard man, doing hard things, for hard reasons. Just Tuco would be enough reason to use Mr. Wallach as an excuse to visit Walt Disney World but, in 1964, he starred in a Disney Movie, The Moon-Spinners with Hayley Mills. Since the movie was about a jewel thief, perhaps you should go jewelry shopping. Our favorite spot is the gift shop in the Contemporary Resort, in fact I am wearing a gold Mickey Mouse band that my wife bought for our anniversary several years ago (just as she wears a similar band I bought her in Hollywood Studios and hid at the bottom of a popcorn box when we went to watch Fantasmic! that night.


1942, Harry Chapin was born. “Cat’s in the Cradle” always makes me feel like a kid, I guess because it was such a huge song when I was a young boy and every young boy wants to be closer to his dad, just like the boy in the song. Harry died way too young, in a tragic car crash in his Volkswagen on the way to a concert, a free concert. You see, Harry was about giving, he gave most of what he earned away and worried about feeding needy children and caring for the world. Maybe today, as a Disney experience, you might help out Give Kids The World. When the Make A Wish Foundation encounters a child that wants to go to Walt Disney World, Give Kids The World helps make that happen. For more information, visit them here: http://www.gktw.org. I think Harry might have liked that.



Remember, your best excuse is always: waiting for your dreams to come true.



No comments:

Post a Comment